Aug 12, 2012
HABER SEALS FIRST KUMHO SERIES ROUND WIN AT QUEENSLAND RACEWAY
QUEENSLAND young gun Morgan Haber has claimed a breakthrough victory in Round 4 of the Kumho Tyres Australian V8 Touring Car Series at Queensland Raceway today.
The MW Motorsport driver won today’s opening race (Race 2 of the weekend) and finished third in the final 18-lapper to take a comfortable round victory clear of series leader Jim Pollicina and Western Australian Matt Hansen, who claimed his second career Kumho Series podium finish.
Haber had looked on target to take a clean sweep of the weekend in Race 3, though outbraked himself at Turn 4 while passing leader Pollicina.
He scrambled back onto the road and finished third, though had done enough for the weekend to seal outright victory.
Pollicina seized the lead of the final race on the opening lap from Hansen and never looked back, finally taking his first Kumho Series race win in his ex-Jason Richards/Tasman Motorsport Commodore.
The result came after Pollicina had spun in Race 2, dropping from second to an eventual 10th-place.
The Sydney-based driver now leads the series by 20 points over young gun Josh Hunter, who endured a nightmare weekend in his new Finance EZI Racing colours.
The Eastern Creek and Winton round winner failed to start Race 2 with brake issues and then charged from 15th on the grid to finish second in the final race to salvage some points.
Engine problems eliminated Justin Garioch’s ex-Jason Richards/Team Dynamik Commodore in Race 2 and left it sidelined for Race 3, while Winton race winner Aaron Tebb’s ex-Valvoline/Garry Rogers Motorsport Commodore also suffered engine problems yesterday and failed to start either race today.
Queensland driver Shane Hunt won the Hi-Tec Oils Classic Trophy for older model cars, his 2001-built, ex-Brad Jones Racing Falcon AU finishing an impressive sixth overall.
Television coverage of the round will air in upcoming weeks on ‘Speedweek’ on SBS and Inside SPEED on Fox’s ‘SPEED’ motorsport channel. A dedicated, one-hour telecast of the round will also air on SPEED at a later date.
The fifth and penultimate round of the Kumho Tyres Australian V8 Touring Car Series will be at Phillip Island on September 22-23 as part of the Shannons Nationals.
KUMHO TYRES AUSTRALIAN V8 TOURING CAR SERIES
ROUND 4 – QUEENSLAND RACEWAY
TOP 10 ROUND RESULT
1. Morgan Haber (Falcon BA), 130 pts
2. Jim Pollicina (Commodore VZ), 106 pts
3. Matt Hansen (Commodore VZ), 96 pts
4. Nathan Garioch (Commodore VY), 95 pts
5. Michael Bartsch (Falcon BA), 67 pts
6. Shane Hunt (Falcon AU), 61 pts
7. Dean Kovacevich (Commodore VZ), 60 pts
8. Josh Hunter (Falcon BA), 53 pts
9. Michael Hector (Falcon BA), 47 pts
10. Lyle Kearns (Commodore VZ), 41 pts
TOP 10 CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS AFTER ROUND 4
1. Jim Pollicina (Commodore VZ), 385 pts
2. Josh Hunter (Falcon BA), 365 pts
3. Morgan Haber (Falcon BA), 283 pts
4. Michael Bartsch (Falcon BA), 252 pts
5. Nathan Garioch (Commodore VY), 211 pts
6. Justin Garioch (Falcon BA/Commodore VZ), 207 pts
7. Bobby Jane (Falcon BA), 203 pts
8. Matt Hansen (Commodore VZ), 196 pts
9. Aaron Tebb (Commodore VZ), 194 pts
10. Chris Smerdon (Falcon BA), 177 pts