Mar 19, 2015
18-CAR FIELD ENTERED FOR OPENING KUMHO SERIES ROUND
Former series champion returns as Pro and Privateer classes debut
AN 18-strong entry list for the opening round of the Kumho Tyre Australian V8 Touring Car Series at Sandown next weekend has left category administrators buoyant for the new year of racing.
After a difficult season in 2014 with small grids and a tough economic climate, the series for ex-V8 Supercars has bounced back for the new season with a solid field, condensed calendar, entry incentive program for full-time competitors and a new class structure.
Category Manager Liam Curkpatrick says the size of the entry list for Sandown is justification for a lot of work during the off-season.
“We’ve worked very hard to fine-tune things for the competitors and the field of cars for the opening round is proof that the competitor base is supportive,” he says.
“There’s a good blend of professional and privateer teams and as a result we’ve created new class structures this year to accommodate both types of competitor. It is important drivers in different team situations have their own series within the series.
“We’ve trimmed the calendar back from six rounds to five this year. It’s more user-friendly and returning to Sandown to begin the series has been a winner all round.
“The Kumho Series is still the best value place to race these types of cars at this level when you combine the value of the television coverage, the tyre deal, use of garages and the entry fees.”
Holden Racing Team V8 Supercar endurance driver Jack Perkins headlines the entry list for Sandown and the third-generation pilot will make his Kumho Series debut teaming with 17-year-old Liam McAdam for reigning champions Eggleston Motorsport.
The Eggleston team will compete in the newly created ‘Pro’ class of the series for competitors racing cars prepared by professional teams and dedicated motorsport businesses.
Seven of the 18 entries for Sandown will compete in the Pro class with cars prepared by Eggleston Motorsport, Image Racing, THR Developments and MW Motorsport.
The Privateer category will be contested by 11 drivers at Sandown. Drivers eligible for this category run and prepare their own cars.
Former Kumho Series Champion Chris Smerdon will return at Sandown in his ex-Stone Brothers Falcon while 2012 series runner-up Jim Pollicina also returns in his ex-Jason Richards, Tasman Commodore after spending time competing in the V8 Supercar Development Series.
Also returning to the series after time away are Scott Loadsman and Image Racing pair Leigh Moran and Michael Hector while Jason Heck, Jason Leoncini and Steven Devjale will make their Kumho Series debuts at Sandown.
Teenagers Alex Rullo, 14, and Jake Kostecki, 15, will also make their Kumho Series debuts, becoming the youngest V8 drivers in history to compete at this level of the sport.
2014 competitors Steve Briffa, John Vergotis, Chris Delfsma, Matthew Palmer, Lyle Kearns and Brendan Strong all return from last year’s field for the new season of racing.
Sandown will host the opening round of five in this year’s Kumho Series with events at Winton, Queensland Raceway, Phillip Island and Sydney Motorsport Park to follow.
All rounds will again be televised on SBS’ ‘Speedweek’ program nationally as well as being replayed on Fox Sports 5, Channel 506.
For the first time too the Kumho Series will be aired on SBS HD in High Definition with coverage of the Sandown round to air on SBS on Sunday April 19.
Private practice will be held at Sandown on Friday March 27 with official practice beginning for the Kumho Series on Saturday.Entry List Here