Major sponsor

Search our website

Nationals TV

iTV Live


Oct 17, 2015


CANBERRA’S CAMERON HILL sealed the Australian Formula Ford Series in style with a lights-to-flag victory today at Wakefield Park – but the racing gods made him wait for it.

A crash and a red flag at the race’s scheduled start time saw the race delayed more than three hours and forced Hill, who essentially only needed to finish to clinch the title, to go through it all again later in the day.

However, as has been the case for much of this year’s championship, it didn’t phase the 18-year-old from Queanbeyan as he took the race and the title with another lights-to-flag performance.

Hill becomes the first ‘privateer’ racer to clinch the title since Neil McFadyen in 2003 and did so with a host of local friends and family from nearby Canberra watching on.

Rather appropriately the father of the last young gun to come from the Australian Capital Territory to chase international success was also at Wakefield Park watching on – Family friend Alan Webber on hand to support Hill’s family today.

“Finally, the weight is lifted from the shoulders!” Hill beamed post-race.

“The pressure was on off to stay consistent and do the job we need to do and we’ve finally done it. A whole year of hard work has paid off and I’m over the moon.

“They had to make it difficult for us! The tension was built up and then we had to re-set for the race again, but I just stayed calm and I knew all we had to do was finish and we went out there and did it.

“It’s really awesome to have such a supportive group of people around me like my family and my friends came out to support me this weekend. What we’ve achieved this year I’m very proud of and hopefully we can build on this form and look forward to the future.”

As part of his prize for sealing the championship, Hill will fly to the United States to take part in a two-day test in the USF 2000 test.

“It’s exciting to get to fly over to the states,” he said “It’s going to be an awesome experience and I just can’t thank dad and my family enough for giving me everything I needed to win.”


THE AUSTRALIAN Formula 3 championship title showdown was plunged into controversy today as title contenders Jon Collins and Ricky Capo collided at the end of today’s opening 14-lap race.

The result has thrown the title race into chaos ahead of Sunday’s three races.

Collins, the championship leader, had led from the opening lap when Capo briefly stalled on the line from pole position.

Capo’s stall caused a concertina accident that ended Roland Legge and Dennie Rumble’s day and brought the Safety Car to the track for a two-lap interruption – Capo restarting in sixth place.

He quickly worked his way back to second place while Collins worked on extending a four-second lead at the front of the field.

Capo, who trailed Collins by 18 points ahead of today’s first of four Formula 3 races, broke the lap record on five occasions in his pursuit of Collins, ultimately leaving the new Wakefield Park outright benchmark at 53.7711s.

Thanks to lapped traffic, Collins lead was cut by 1.5s on lap twelve and a further 1 second on the next lap – bringing Capo within sight of the race leader.

The Jani King Racing driver attempted to pass for the lead on the inside of turn ten with the two cars making contact.

Collins ended up in the sand trap while Capo crossed the line first to get the victory ahead of Trent Shirvington and Shane Ryding.

The results remain provisional ahead of several reviews currently underway by race officials.


JACK PERKINS won a classic Kerrick Sports Sedan Series encounter this afternoon, holding out concerted pressure from title contender Tom Randle for much of the race in a classic fight.

Randle ran nose-to-tail with Polesitter Perkins for nine of the ten laps before a left front ball joint failure ended his day as the car crossed the line to commence the final lap.

Randle ultimately failed to finish however did set a new category lap record at the Goulburn venue at 57.06s in his relentless pursuit of Perkins.

Tony Ricciardello finished second and Steven Tamasi third to further close the championship race, with Ricciardello now assuming the points lead ahead of the further

Shane Woodman and Michael Robinson completed the top five with Australia’s fastest tin-tops to contest a further two races tomorrow.


GAVIN ROSS edged closer to the Super Six Touring car title today by finishing a safe second to race one winner, Ben Grice.

Grice, who started from pole, led all of today’s 14 laps to beat Ross by five seconds with Ford driver Ashley Jarvis in third.

Despite the double points on offer this weekend, Ross’ lead is such that three consistent races will see him secure the championship for the second time in two years.

Grice, meanwhile, is on a tear and has won every race since the third round of the series at Sydney Motorsport Park in July this year – his streak now standing at 10 races in a row.

Glen Postlethwaite and Sam Lee completed the top five.


Rick Bates has taken the outright and Class A victory in the first of two Australian Manufacturers Championship races to be held this weekend, leading the Class B Sherrin brothers BMW135i across the line by five seconds.

The first retirement came just two laps into the 200km/90 lap stanza, with Bob Pearson forced to the pit lane amid a large plume of smoke due to a blown turbo.

Two safety cars were called throughout the race, the first at 10 laps to retrieve a stranded Jake Camilleri and the second with just 16 laps to go.

With Grant Sherrin pitting under the safety car for a splash of fuel and Bates electing to stay out, the younger of the two brothers pushed hard over the 11 laps following the restart to come through the field and within five seconds of Bates at the line.

Taking victory in Class C was the Osborne Motorsport Renault Megane, while the sole Class D entry failed to finish the race following mechanical issues on lap 44.