Jul 1, 2016
KIWIS ON TOP
Australian based Kiwi racers, Jaxon Evans and Tim Miles, have topped Friday practice in Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Australia presented by Pirelli's 50th round at Sydney Motorsport Park.
Evans looks to continue his success at the Sydney venue this weekend; the Queensland resident was untouchable at the series' second round in 2016 at the New South Wales circuit to claim a clean sweep of race wins.
Evans’ best lap of 1:30.9875 was a mere 0.04secs ahead of series leader Hamish Hardeman and substantially quicker than the current race lap record of 1:31.6017, posted by Ryan Simpson last season.
"It's good to see some low lap times today. Now we're looking to claw back some points after losing the series lead at Winton. But I'm happy with our Friday pace," said Evans.
"I've always enjoyed driving at this circuit; I rate it as one of the best in Australia. And the track today was very fast; we're already posting times quicker than what we saw at Rennsport. I'm happy to show our pace and we’ll see what we can do tomorrow."
Hardeman, who holds a 34 point lead in the Professional Class standings, was second quickest from Porsche Junior, Jake Klarich in third.
Miles was the best of the Elite Class racers in Friday practice; the Sydneysider posted a time just one second adrift of pace-setter Evans and over a second ahead of his closest class rival.
Sam Shahin was second quickest in the Elite Class and fifth outright from Anthony Gilbertson, Winton class round winner Jim Campbell, John Morriss, Brian Finn, Ross McGregor, David Ryan, Shane Barwood and Tony Martin.
To mark the significance of the 50th round milestone, Porsche will award the Professional Class and Elite Class round winners the use of a Porsche sports car for a weekend, adding to the incentive to perform at the Sydney circuit.
The two Sunday races of Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Australia presented by Pirelli, along with the entire Sunday race schedule of the Shannons Australian Motor Racing Nationals round in Sydney, is available to view via live stream from www.thenationals.com.au
Saturday July 02, 2016
8:50am Practice 3 (20 minutes)
12:12pm Qualifying (20 minutes)
2:53pm Race 1 (9 laps)
Sunday July 03, 2016
9:34pm Race 2 (30 laps)
1:17pm Race 3 (9 laps)
Combined Practice Times
1. #91 Jaxon Evans (Professional Class) Simulate-It/Willship – 1:30.7925*
2. #10 Hamish Hardeman (Professional Class) Sonic Motor Racing Services – 1:30.8406s
3. #95 Jake Klarich (Professional Class) Super Rooster – 1:31.4906s
4. #4 Tim Miles (Elite Class) CSF Radiators/Miles Advisory – 1:31.8174s
5. #13 Sam Shahin (Elite Class) HTFU – 1:32.8379s
6. #19 Anthony Gilbertson (Elite Class) Motiv8 Racing/Hallmark Homes – 1:33.2400s
7. #72 Jim Campbell (Elite Class) Power Street Racing – 1:33.9786s
8. #30 David Ryan (Elite Class) Wrightlands GAM Soltronic – 1:34.6047s
9. #34 John Morriss (Elite Class) Motorsport Leasing Pty Ltd – 1:34.6245s
10. #82 Brian Finn (Elite Class) Laser 3D/Force Accessories – 1:35.0243s
11. #99 Ross McGregor (Elite Class) Southern Star Windows – 1:35.2048s
12. #21 Shane Barwood Shane Barwood (Class B) Melbourne Orthopaedic Group – 1:38.3161s
13. #9 Tony Martin (QLD) Tony Martin (Elite Class) The Triffid Bar Venue – 1:40.1539s
14. #8 Neville Stewart (Class B) Asset Partner/Racing Dynamic – 1:40.4406s